Everyone knows that they need to drink plenty of water daily to stay hydrated and support their body — which is made up of 70% water! However many may not know that the quality of water they drink is just as important as how much they drink.
There are a number of factors influencing water quality:
- Fluoride- Through a process called fluoridation, the mineral fluoride is added to drinking water supplies at a level where it provides benefits to one's teeth by preventing tooth decay. Although the amount of fluoride added to water is regulated, high levels do pose dangers to human health. A small body of research has shown a link between fluoride and bone cancer.
- Heavy metals- These include arsenic, lead and mercury and pose a serious risk to human health. They can cause cancer, nerve damage and organ damage. Small amounts may be present in tap water contributing to these diseases.
- Pesticides and fertilisers- These include insecticides (insects) and herbicides (weeds) and can contaminate drinking water supplies. Pesticides and fertilisers are used in farmlands and can enter ground water systems that link to drinking water supplies. Exposure through drinking water can cause a range of diseases including cancer.
Benefits of Water Filters
Water filters are devices that greatly improve the quality of drinking water. Here are some of the benefits of water filters:
- Removal of contaminants- Water filters provide protection from various diseases caused by contaminants in drinking water. Many people believe that simply boiling water removes all contaminants; however this is not the case. Only water filtration devices are able to remove heavy metals such as lead and mercury from water. Water filtration devices also use proven methods to remove bacteria form drinking water.
- Better-tasting water- Many people find that there is a lingering taste of disinfectant and chlorine in water from the tap. Water filters remove this chlorine so the water tastes better.
- Cost savings- Water filters are a much more cost effective way of enjoying safe drinking water in comparison to purchasing water bottles. Once a filtration device is installed it lasts a long time, providing quality drinking water for all.
- Positive environmental impact- In comparison to purchasing water bottles, it is much better to install water filtration in terms of sustainability. Water bottles are usually made out of plastic, which takes hundreds of years to break down.
Before deciding on a home water filter, it is important to take a look at research to obtain the best filter on the market.